Monday, June 22, 2015

Summer Reading List for Small Creative Business Owners

During the summer months it's always nice to relax your brain with some fun and easy beach reads, but I also like to use this time to read up on some non-fiction related to small business, self-motivation, and how-to. My shop is slower during the summer so now is a good time to absorb new information and make some plans for the fall, winter and spring months.

Below is a list of a few books I've recently read and recommend, and a few that are on my "to read the summer" list. Post a comment with any other suggestions!

Jim Henson: The Biography by Brian Jay Jones

I've been a huge Jim Henson admirer since childhood, but had never touched much on his personal life. This biography is incredibly thorough and honest, and details how Henson built his empire. He was an artist and a smart business person, but most of all he was unbelievably hard-working and dedicated to his passion.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

This much-talked-about and best-selling guide on decluttering your home truly works. Getting rid of things has always been a major problem for me, but somehow Kondo gave me permission to get rid of clutter guilt-free. I donated 6 garbage bags of clothes purged from my closet and drawers and it felt so good. I read this book on my Kindle in just a couple days, but my husband listened to it as an audio book and Kondo's voice is strangely hypnotizing.

The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done by Peter F. Drucker

This book is on my "to read" list. It doesn't exactly sound like a light read, but Drucker is considered one of the founders of modern management theory, and this book helps executives develop time-management and decision-making skills so that they can lead their organizations more effectively.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey

I've had this book sitting on my Kindle for a while and have been working up the energy to dive in. It's been in publication for 25 years and over 25 million copies have been sold so I believe it's going to be good, but it sounds like it requires a lot of interaction and it's recommended that you take notes, study and treat this book like a workshop or seminar.

Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris

This book is nothing but pleasurable to read. Reward yourself with this gem after you commit to being effective, becoming minimalist, and building a legacy. Not only does the author give behind-the-scenes accounts of Fleetwood Mac rocketing to stardom, but also personal stories about Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton and Brian Wilson.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment