Wednesday, August 7, 2013

In My Studio: Keeping up with the Calendar


When I first moved to the US three years ago I kept missing out on opportunities to make and sell holiday and seasonal inspired work. I just didn't get my act together fast enough to keep up with the ever changing seasonal merchandise. I decided I needed a special calendar to help me organize my year of making. It would show all the important holidays, themes and seasons and include when to start making, when to list on Etsy and when to deliver to stores.
                        Hanukkah Cards by Karmabee      Valentines Day Ornaments by Get Tangled
 
When selling on Etsy it's important to make, photograph and list items for various holidays well enough in advance to allow potential customers to view, buy and have items delivered well before the holiday in question. Crafts makers all work at different rates so I thought I would post my schedule and then you are able to change it depending on which holidays you make for and the speed of your work:


Holiday/ Season
Date of Holiday/ Season
List on Etsy/ deliver to stores
When to make and photograph
Spring theme
March- May
In January
Nov, Dec
Valentines Day
14th Feb
Early Jan
December
St Patrick's Day
17th March
In Feb
January
Easter
20th April (2014)
Late March
Jan, Feb
Mothers Day
11th May (2014)
Mid April
March
Summer theme
May-Aug
April
March
Fathers Day
15th June (2014)
Mid May
April
Independence Day
4th July
Early June
May
Autumn theme
Sept- Nov
August
June, July
Halloween
31st October
September
July, August
Thanksgiving
27th Nov (2014)
October
Aug, Sept
Winter theme
Nov- Feb
October
Sept
Hanukkah
16-24th Dec (2014)
November
October
Christmas Day
25th Dec
October
Aug, Sept

 To try and simplify it I made these tables below:
What I should be making/ when:

Jan
Feb
March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
St Pat
Easter
Mother
Father
Ind Day
Autumn
Autumn
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Spring
Spring
Easter
Summer
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Winter
Val Day
Christmas
Christmas

What I should be listing on Etsy and delivering to stores/ when:
Jan
Feb
March
April
May
June
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
Spring
St Pat
Easter
Mother
Father
Ind Day
 
Autumn
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Hannukah
 
Val Day
Summer
Christmas
Winter

 

 Owl Christmas Tree Skirt by So Handmade

Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. Henry David Thoreau

Good luck and Good Making!
Sarah Omura, So Handmade
 

4 comments:

  1. I hate how these holidays sneak up on you. At the same time, we laugh at stores that jump the gun too early so this tip brings a nice balance, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this check list Sarah! It is something that I am going to copy and place on my to do board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I always start too late, this will help keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I always start too late, this will help keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete