Friday, April 30, 2010

An Ode To Mom - Part 1

From WrenWillow


My mother taught me how to embroider when I was young and I did a few little pieces, later switching to crewel. But her primary love was (and is) knitting, and while I learned how to do a simple knit or purl, I never got into it. Likewise, my sister passed on it. But my brother, who is twelve years younger LOVED it. I remember him sitting on the couch one day when he was about 7, knitting along very happily and one of his friends came to the door and asked if he could come out to play. Michael said he'd be a few minutes, he wanted to finish the row. My dad overheard him and proclaimed to my mom "I'll be darned if my son is going to tell his friends he can't come out to play because he has to finish his knitting!" Mom lost her protege, and we have howled over that story for years - including my dad, who has eased up somewhat on his ideas of gender appropriate leisure activities! ~ Becky from GeminiRiverRocks

My grandmother worked in a sweater factory in Brooklyn, well into her seventies. In her downtime, she crocheted fine lace tablecloths, doilies, etc. She taught me some basics, and I also picked up knitting from an aunt and sewing from my mom, who helped me make clothes for my dolls. Later on, I studied loom weaving, did hangings and wearables for a time. I gave all that up when I fell in love with clay, until about 8 years ago; I have rediscovered knitting and enjoy its portability. ~ Virginia from Ceruleanblue

Arts and crafts is something that I always did with my 2 daughters, who are now in their twenties. If I was taking a ceramic class, we'd all work in clay. We painted together. My older daughter has helped me learn to knit. When my younger daughter was a senior in HS, she asked me to take a drawing class with her, which was being offered in the adult education program. Being a teen and so involved in being with her friends, I was really touched that she asked me. We both learned a lot, and she is now in her 3rd year of art school. ~ Jenny from ReclaimedDesigns

1 comment: